Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Dru was getting married!

Those of you who have been reading this blog since the beginning know that I started teaching myself how to cook as a child by making my mom's cookie recipes. I loved any excuse to bake them, and I carried this habit with me into my NASA days. I would regularly bake cookies to bring in for meetings, someone's birthday, or just because it was Tuesday.

On one of these occasions, I was getting ready to bake oatmeal cookies to bring in the next day. I had the wet ingredients all mixed in the bowl, the oven was preheating, and the phone rang. It was my college roommate, Dru--she was engaged! Would I be a bridesmaid? Lots of giggles and shrieks ensued, and about 2 hours later, we said goodbye and I hung up the phone. 

I came back into the kitchen to a bowl full of half-made cookie dough. It was about 10:30pm, but I decided I would stay up and get them finished, I couldn't see throwing the batter away. I opened my pantry to find that I didn't have enough oatmeal, not even close. I was missing about half what I needed to finish the cookies. I had already changed into my jammies, I really didn't want to get in the car that late at night to go to the store. What to do... I looked back in my pantry and found a box of instant apple and cinnamon oatmeal. I figured, what the heck, let's give it a go, and I started tearing open the paper packets. I had just enough to make up the amount I was short, so I finished mixing the batter and baked the cookies.

The next day at work, the cookies were a hit. People raved about them, they loved the addition of the apple and cinnamon flavors. A year or so after that, dried cranberries started to become all the rage, so I added those to the cookies in addition to the raisins. This recipe quickly became my most requested flavor. All thanks to Dru getting married!




Cranberry Apple Oatmeal Cookies

Makes about 6 dozen cookies

¾ cup shortening
¾ cup unsalted butter
2 cups brown sugar, packed firmly
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
½ cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda 
3 cups oats, dry and uncooked
3 cups instant apple and cinnamon flavored oatmeal
2 cups chopped pecans
1 ½ cups raisins
1 ½ cups dried cranberries

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Cream the shortening, butter, and both sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. When the butter/sugar mixture is pale in color and light and fluffy in texture, reduce the mixer speed to low and add the eggs and water. Mix until incorporated.  Using a silicon spatula, scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. 

In a separate large mixing bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking soda, then add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl with the creamed mixture. Mix on low to incorporate. Mix together the oats, nuts, raisins and cranberries in a large bowl, then add to the mixer bowl, mixing on low to incorporate. 

Drop large tablespoons full of the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes then remove to a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.


P.S.: The wedding was beautiful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment